- Our purpose is to develop a community of long-term resident owners, rather than short-term tenants. Our community is based on relationships. We desire stability, demonstrated by low turnover and continuity of ownership.
- We anticipate the need for owners to live away from the community at times, temporarily, for work, family or personal reasons. A rental policy will facilitate their ability to do so with out them having to sell their unit or incur financial loss, and will support our value of having a close-knit community.
- Renting units provides for economic diversity and brings new ideas and energy into our community.
- Ashland Cohousing Community needs the participation of all of its residents to accomplish the shared tasks of the community. We seek those who are willing to be full participants in the work and the rewards of community living.
- ACC requires active participation. We do not intend for people to own units in our community for secondary residences, for investment opportunities as absentee landlords, as vacation rentals, or as homes held until later retirement. We intend for people who own units in ACC to use them as their primary residence and to be active participants in the community.
- After members have moved into ACC, there may be circumstances when they are absent from home for an extended periods and may wish to rent their home to a nonmember at that time. In order to insure stability of ownership in our community, owner absent renters will be limited to 2 homes at any given time.
- To allow all owners a reasonable opportunity to rent if needed, each home is limited to a total of 24 months for every five years. If an owner’s absence exceeds 2 years, they will meet with the community to review their long-term plans for membership. It requires the consensus of the members of the community for an absent owner to continue to rent beyond 2 years.
- The owner continues to be responsible for monthly payment of the HOA dues and all renter assessments during any rental periods. The rental assessments may include but is not limited to; common facilities use, maintenance and meals.
- The owners are ultimately responsible for their renters following and abiding the community policies, agreements and commitments. If there is a problem with a renter, the community will use the current process for conflict resolution. If the conflict can not be resolved, the community will determine the action plan to be presented for the owner to implement.
- ACC also welcomes those renting rooms in a member’s home.
- Owners are required to have a written lease agreement with any renters staying for over 30days. That agreement must include a rider in which the renter acknowledges familiarity with and agreement to abide by all current policies, agreements and commitments. Owners will give a minimum of 30 day’s notice of their intent to rent their home or a room in their home. In the event of sudden and unexpected changes, the required notice may be shortened with community approval.
- The renter’s vehicle will be included in the total number of vehicles allowed for that unit.
- All potential renters are asked to submit a brief bio like owners have done. These bios will be made available to interested members. ACC will provide an orientation on Cohousing to potential renters, discuss community life and invite them to meetings and common meals to help insure that the choice to rent here is the best one for the renter and the community.
- All potential renters will review and agree to abide by all current policies, agreements and commitments.
- All potential renters are asked to sign our “Participation Agreement” which includes accepting responsibility, as owners do, for participating in work projects, meetings and community meal preparation. The minimum expectation currently is figured by household. There will be a period of 6 weeks for new residence to get familiar with the community and find the areas they find passion to get involved.
- Under special circumstances, exceptions to this policy may be granted by the community.
- This policy will be reviewed and amended if needed, by the community.